I’ve always felt like I’m missing out the pulled pork sandwich. I don’t eat pork as I just don’t like it. Well, except of course for bacon which seriously should be a food group in itself. I mean one of our local restaurants serves bacon ice cream! I’ve known self-proclaimed vegans, ok only one, who still sneaks a slice of bacon once in awhile. Yes, the guilty party knows just who I’m talking about….
So here’s my answer to the pulled pork sandwich. This pulled chicken has a real depth of flavor. It is in a word fantastic. It is slow cooked in the crock pot for 7 hours so it is super moist and so very flavorful. And you will absolutely love how your house smells while it’s cooking.
This one’s a blue ribbon winner, winner chicken dinner for sure. (Or lunch, or snack).
- 1 onion (sweet) – thinly sliced
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes (or tomato puree, diced tomatoes do NOT work!)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Add the chicken and onion to the slow cooker.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the sauce and stir to cover all of the chicken and onion.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and gently pull it apart using 2 forks.
- Add the pulled chicken back into the crock pot, stirring it into the sauce.
- *(recipe adapted from Pure Wow)
My favorite way to serve this sandwich in on a warmed or toasted pretzel roll with a nice vinaigrette cabbage slaw on top. I’m obsessed with the pretzel roll actually. I have a friend who serves them warmed with various types of mustard for dipping….yep, I’d be so happy to call that dinner.