Sometimes we all just need a big ‘ol dish of comfort food. Well, this dish fits the bill perfectly. When I think comfort food I think potatoes. This dish was adapted from a recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis. I’ve tweaked it to my liking and the result is decadent, delicious and very satisfying for giving you your comfort food fix. It comes out nicely browned on top with a great creamy, cheesy texture inside. I’ve served this as a weeknight side dish and also for holiday dinners and dinner parties. It makes a large amount and it is really a hit. I guarantee you’ll be asked for the recipe.
I’ve tried this using parmesan cheese pre grated from a can and it’s good but definitely not as good as fresh grated. It comes together very quickly once the potatoes are boiled and can be prepared several hours ahead of time and stored covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
- 4-4½ pounds russet potatoes - peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter - melted
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or grease it with butter. Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Return the potatoes to the pot and mash them well. I use a hand masher.
- Mix in the butter and the half and half.
- Mix in the shredded cheese, ¾ cup of the grated Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the potato mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the remaining Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.