How cute are these? I saw the Pioneer Woman make these and just loved the idea. They could not be simpler and they are so festive, especially for a holiday party which is what I made them for. The hardest part was assembling them. They were very tasty and fresh and remained good at room temperature throughout the entire night.
The dreaded has finally happened, my homemade basil pesto is gone! I freeze several batches of homemade basil pesto in the summer so that I can have it in the winter. But, sadly, I’ve used it all. I used basil pesto from a jar (Trader Joes brand) for this recipe and it was delicious.
I’m all about party food that is easy to prepare, can be prepared ahead of time and that lasts throughout the life of your party so you, as the hostess, can stay out of the kitchen and enjoy your guests. These delicious skewers fit the bill. Plus, they fall into my favorite party food category….”finger foods,” no utensils needed here!
- 1-2 packages of spinach and cheese filled tortellinis (I used 1 package but they were relatively small and there were a lot in the package).
- 1 block of fresh mozzarella cheese - cubed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons basil pesto - from a jar or homemade
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- fresh basil - chopped - optional, used as garnish
- Skewers - I used bamboo
- Cook the spinach tortellini according to package directions. Drain the tortellini, rinse and set aside.
- Assemble the skewers the way you like.
- Note- I put two tortellinis on each skewer with the mozzarella and grape tomato in between. I made 25 skewers total and still had tortellinis left.
- For the dressing:
- Whisk the olive oil, basil pesto and red wine vinegar together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the skewers before serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil as garnish if desired.