There’s not one person I know who doesn’t love Mexican cuisine. It seems as though it has something for everybody. My personal favorite is fajitas. You get all the good stuff on that accessory plate; pico de gallo, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce and cheese. It’s like a miniature buffet just for me! That’s how I feel about these mini tostadas. They’re layered with lots of great ingredients that taste amazing together. The vessel itself is an oven baked corn tortilla. So, no deep fried tortilla chip guilt!! The last time I was in Mexico I was blown away by the street food vendors called “antojitos” which translates to little cravings.
Mexico has one of the most extensive street food cultures in Latin America. They are primarily present in the morning and evening as they’re not intended as the formal meal of the day which is in the mid-afternoon. The majority of the food these food vendors serve is centered around corn products and talk about authentic. It’s really a sight to see and a taste to try. I hope you enjoy these mini tostadas, the oven baked corn tortilla chips are great for taco salad and served with guacamole, salsa, or refried beans as an appetizer. Serve them with a homemade margarita and your friends might never leave!
- 4 corn tortillas - cut into fourths
- refried beans (see recipe link above)
- guacamole(see recipe link above)
- sour cream or crème fraiche
- 1 diced tomato
- jalapeno slices - from a jar, I used the mild variety
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet.
- Spray with non stick cooking spray and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Bake for approximately 6 minutes until browned and beginning to get crispy.
- Turn the tortillas over and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Note - cooking times are approximate depending on your oven. These take a bit of practice and careful watching so they do not get overdone. But, once you get it you'll know the exact amount of time needed to cook them for the next time you make the dish.
- Build the tostadas by layering the refried beans, guacamole, tomato, sour cream and jalapeno in that order.
- Ole'. You're well on your way to a Mexican fiesta!!
Ole’. You’re well on your way to a Mexican fiesta!!