How adorable are these?
We went to an annual picnic at our friends’ cottage this past weekend and these crostinis were a major hit. I made 40 pieces and they barely made it out to the appetizer table. Adults and kids just gobbled them up! I was asked many times “what’s the green stuff?” You tell them “kale pesto” and you’ll look like a total rockstar for using such a unique ingredient!
They are simple especially if you make the kale pesto ahead of time. You can prebake the baguette rounds and store them in an airtight container until ready to use them.
- 1 French baguette, sliced diagonally into ½ inch thick rounds. (I get 35-40 slices per baguette)
- olive oil
- Kosher salt
- kale pesto - see the link to this recipe in the post
- 20 grape tomatoes - sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 wedge of Romano cheese for grating (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the baguette rounds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Bake them for approximately 7 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Allow the baguette rounds to cool enough for you to handle them.
- Spread a layer of kale pesto onto each round.
- Top with one grape tomato, seed side up.
- Grate the romano cheese over the tops of the rounds (I grate my cheese using the microplane, it works perfectly).
- Serve the crostinis on a large platter and watch them disappear!