I am a fan of fruit on a salad; I think it’s an unexpected surprise. It adds a natural sweetness and looks so fresh and pretty. I’ve made this salad with red leaf lettuce, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red onion, sliced strawberries and crumbled blue cheese.
The dressing is a pear champagne vinaigrette that’s light, slightly sweet and really delicious. Trader Joes makes a pear champagne vinaigrette dressing but of course, I love to make dressing homemade, this one definitely gives Trader Joes’ version a run for its money. I adapted this recipe from one I found on allrecipes.com
- 1 ripe pear - peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup white wine (or non-alcoholic sparkling white grape juice)
- 1 clove of garlic - chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar (or white balsamic vinegar)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- Blend the pear, white wine, garlic, Dijon mustard, champagne vinegar, black pepper, and salt in a blender until well combined.
- Drizzle the olive oil into the mixture in a thin, steady stream while continuing to blend. Blend a few seconds longer until the salad dressing is thick and creamy.