Watermelon has to me on my top 10 perfect food list. It’s a beautiful color, fresh and natural, versatile and delicious! Best of all it’s sweet but has almost no calories…perfection! I’ve put a twist on watermelon here my making a salad combining it with feta cheese and fresh mint and dressing it with a honey vinaigrette. This salad is refreshing on a hot summer day and a great addition to your backyard barbecue party.
I always buy seedless watermelon, I just don’t like having to either dig out those seeds or worse, spit them out of my mouth…yuck. I buy watermelon that has already been cut for two reasons. One, I can see the color of the melon and make sure it’s a nice deep dark red as those seem to be the juiciest and most flavorful. Two, it is just too darn hard to cut through a big whole watermelon.
- For the salad:
- 3-4 cups chopped watermelon - cut into ¾ inch chunks
- 1½ cups chopped English Cucumber (seedless cucumber with a more tender skin)
- ½ of a small red onion - thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Combine the salad ingredients in a bowl. Place the dressing ingredients into a Mason jar with a tight fitting lid and shake until the honey is fully incorporated and the dressing has a smooth consistency.
- Drizzle 3 Tablespoons of the dressing over the salad and lightly toss.