We cannot live on vinaigrettes alone!! Let me explain, recently my friend and I visited one of our favorite local diners for lunch. I ordered the grilled chicken cobb salad with, wait for it….ranch dressing! Which caused my friend to respond “Wow, ranch dressing? Who are you?” Yes folks, ranch dressing; we loved it as kids. It had the ability to make any vegetable edible and pretty much anything you dipped in it taste just way better. My salad came to the table with the homemade ranch dressing on the side in what looked to be a small gravy boat!! I swear, the first bite of salad with that creamy white perfection drizzled on it was like heaven. The clouds parted, the sun came out, and all those ranch dressing memories tickled my taste buds with delight! Even the server must have noticed my pure ranch dressing delight as she asked me if I would like more! Thankfully I said no as I’d like my thighs to still fit in their skinny jeans. This experience prompted me to come up with a buttermilk ranch dressing recipe that I could make at home. It’s full of natural ingredients with no sugar, artificial flavors or preservatives which is what you’ll find in bottled ranch dressing. I hope you too can experience salad nirvana with this buttermilk ranch dressing.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 medium garlic clove, grated on the microplane or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients in a 2-cup Mason jar. Seal tightly and shake to evenly distribute all the ingredients. Or stir all ingredients together in a glass bowl. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Refrigerate until chilled and the flavors have melded, about 1 hour. The dressing will last up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
This recipe was adapted from chow.com