I’ve never really been a sandwich eater. Cold sandwiches just don’t do anything for me. However, a grilled cheese with the warm melty cheese and the crispy browned bread…perfection; a real comfort food for me. I’ve taken my love of grilled cheese (with tomato and red onion please) and turned it into several melt sandwiches. Popular ingredients for me include portabella mushrooms, avocado, tomato, onion, tuna and veggie burgers. The recipe I’ve included here is for a turkey Reuben; my favorite (at least for today).
Wow, my mouth is watering just writing this. It’s melty delicious-ness!
- deli turkey meat - I use a nitrate-free low sodium honey roasted turkey
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (or more depending on your taste)
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- There's nothing complicated here. It's made like a grilled cheese. I build it right on the skillet.
- Butter a slice of bread and lie the butter side down onto the skillet (or griddle or grill pan depending on your preference)
- Layer a slice of the cheese onto the bread
- Add the sauerkraut
- then the turkey meat
- and lastly the second slice of cheese.
- Butter the second slice of bread and place it on top of the sandwich with the butter side out.
- Cook it over medium low heat until the bread is nicely browned and the cheese is melted.
- I put a foil tent over the sandwich, leaving the sides open for the steam to escape. It melts the cheese nicely while letting the steam escape so the sandwich is not too soft and soggy.
- Turn the sandwich over and cook the second side.