All I can say is…try these! They have been the number one hit of the holiday season so far. My friends and family have described them as “wine and cheese on bread” and “deconstructed grape jelly with an unexpected flavor twist.” Both of these are accurate but just fancy ways of saying Yummy!!
I came up with the idea because as you know by now my preferred cooking method of pretty much anything is roasting. I roasted the grapes not exactly knowing what to expect with the hope of creating a twist on the usual bruschetta. I happened to be walking through the supermarket and found the honey nut flavored cream cheese (which is ridiculously delicious) and these little beauties were born. I planned on drizzling them with regular balsamic vinegar which is always a good match with fruit but I decided to go with the fig flavored balsamic and I think that really put these over the top.
Please give them a try and let me know what you think. Your guests will be glad you did, I give you my word.
- 1 loaf of multi-grain or whole wheat baguette, sliced into ½” thick rounds
- 1 – 1½ pounds of black or red seedless grapes
- 1 container of honey nut flavored cream cheese
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Fig balsamic vinegar
- Place the grapes onto a nonstick baking sheet (if not nonstick, line it with foil, dull side up). Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. The skins will shrivel and they’ll become very soft. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Turn the oven heat down to 400 degrees. Place the baguette rounds onto a baking sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake the bead rounds for approximately 5-8 minutes until they harden up a bit. You want them to be a little crisper with some texture so they don’t fall apart when you layer the ingredients onto them. Remove the bread rounds and allow to cool just enough so you can handle them.
- Assembly directions:
- Spread a layer of the honey nut flavored cream cheese on the baguette rounds. Slice the grapes in half lengthwise. Place 3-4 grape halves onto the cream cheese layer. Drizzle the fig flavored balsamic vinegar over the baguettes using a teaspoon.
- Serve and be totally amazed at how unbelievable these are!