Well, my “food soul” is definitely Mediterranean. I really like the fresh, healthy ingredients and the flavor profile of this style of cuisine. I always seem to have these ingredients on hand and try to find new ways to use them. That’s how this recipe was born.
I love greek salad and I love hummus so I put them together into this delicious layered dip which was a huge hit at my last get-together.
- 2 cups prepared hummus (you could use store-bought hummus in lieu of homemade if you’re in a time crunch). Please see my basic hummus recipe in the cilantro-pepperoncini post.
- ½ lemon
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (I used 1 red bell pepper but yellow or a combo of the two would be pretty for color). Roasted red pepper from a jar is also great and very easy.
- ½ seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- big handful of pitted kalamata olives, rough chopped
- 3 - 4 pepperoncini peppers, rough chopped (I used already chopped ones from a jar)
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped canned beets (optional as some don’t like beets)
- Layer prepared hummus on the bottom of your serving dish. Squeeze lemon over the hummus.
- Add layers of artichokes, chopped pepper, cucumber, feta, olives, pepperoncini and beets (if using), over hummus.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator if not serving immediately.
- Serve with pita or pita chips and enjoy!