This is a lovely cabbage slaw/salad that comes together in just minutes. I have a friend who loves it so much he requests it at every gathering. It’s full of color adding beauty to the table and your plate!
Recipe type: side dish, vegetable
- ½ head of green cabbage
- ½ head of red cabbage
- 2-3 carrots (I tend to buy larger carrots so 2 is enough)
- 1 cup of golden raisins
- ½ cup (or amount to taste) roasted garlic vinaigrette (recipe included)
- For the roasted garlic vinaigrette:
- 2 heads of garlic, roasted and peeled
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp honey
- You could also use an all natural, preservative-free bottled garlic vinaigrette of your choice.
- For the salad:
- Finely chop the cabbage into ribbons and shred the carrots with a box grater. Place them into a large bowl along with the raisins, stir to combine. Add the roasted garlic vinaigrette, a generous pinch of Kosher salt and some black pepper and toss with tongs to coat the ingredients evenly.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the dressing soak into the cabbage for more intense flavor.
- It stores very nicely in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- For the roasted garlic dressing:
- Cut the top off of the garlic so the cloves are exposed. Drizzle generously with olive oil and loosely wrap in foil, bringing into a tent-shape at the top.
- Roast it on a sheet pan in the oven at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes, until it is starting to turn golden brown and soft.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool.
- Once the garlic has cooled, peel off the skin and discard. The skin peels off easily after they are roasted.
- Add all the ingredients to the food processor or blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.